Teaching body parts for beginners.
Learners are kids , and kids love games. Using this latter is our cornerstone to reach our objectives and to succeed in our missions as teachers.
Vocabulary games are many ,but when you start searching on the internet for ideas ,you barely find an idea that fits your objective. You can find tens of great ideas but they may not be suitable for your lessons. As teachers, our concern is to find a way to transmit the information successfully . We have to find an easy way to guarantee an efficient acquisition of the knowledge taught.
Today , I’m going to share this exclusive hand made idea to teach Body Parts for our learners.
The objective: By the end of the lesson , pupils will be able to ask and answer about body parts’ names.
The materials: Hand made body parts; printed worksheet,
Grammar: Simple present
Vocabulary: related to body parts
Pronunciation : of the practiced words
1.The teacher sticks different body parts on one side of the board.
2.On the other side ,he sticks their names then he utters them only. Pupils just listen to the teacher.
3.Now the teacher points at each part of the body and says for example : This is a mouth and repeats this is a mouth.
4. The pupils have to listen and link the sound to the spelled word . Each time a pupil passes to board and matches each body part with its name till we finish all the body parts.
This idea gives learners some space to think on their own and to match the sounds with the words. It’s much better than taking a body part and saying this is a nose or a mouth.
5.When we finish naming all the body parts ;pupils have to DRILL to pronounce the words correctly.
6. The teacher gives learners 5 mn to memorize the body parts then he removes all the words . He leaves the body parts only.
7. To check whether the learners have memorized the words, the teacher uses a motivating idea that moves learners curiosity . They will be eager to see the final picture with all the body parts.
The teacher sticks an empty body on the board and he gives it a name.
EXAMPLE: This is Peter, he wants his body parts. Listen to him and each time he asks for a body part ,give it to him.
Hello, I am Peter , I want my right hand .
The pupils have to recall what they have learnt and they try to remember the meaning of the word hand. If a pupil manages to remember it ; he passes to the board and sticks it .
We keep the game till we finish all the body parts and we get the final picture of PETER .
8. For more practice , pupils may ask each other about body parts . Example : a pupil asks his partner pointing at a mouth ,what is this? his partner answers , this is a mouth …………………..etc
9. Also the teacher can end up the session using body parts song .
How to design your materials
- Draw half of the body you want to make.
- 2. Fold it into half then cut to have the same shape on both sides.3. You will get a body.4. Use white papers to draw your body parts.5. Finally ,cut your body parts and design a case to put your materials in.